KABUL U.S. troops are still battling suspected Islamic Condition fighters close to the web site the place a significant bomb was dropped in eastern Afghanistan past week, a U.S. armed forces official reported on Wednesday.
Nicknamed “the mother of all bombs”, the GBU-43 Significant Ordnance Air Blast bomb was dropped past Thursday from an American MC-130 plane in the Achin district of Nangarhar, bordering Pakistan.
Given that then issues have surrounded the decision to use the weapon, which is one of the biggest conventional bombs ever applied in combat by the U.S. armed forces. The strike drew condemnation from some prominent figures, like former Afghan president Hamid Karzai and Afghanistan’s ambassador to Pakistan.
Immediately after arriving at the web site the day following the strike, U.S. troops, who are fighting alongside Afghan forces, have because left but keep on to perform functions in the location, reported U.S armed forces spokesman Captain William Salvin.
“Accessibility has been restricted but that’s because it is a combat zone,” he told Reuters. “We are in call with the enemy.”
Echoing initial estimates, Salvin reported the U.S. armed forces has “superior self-confidence” that no civilians had been harmed, although no unbiased investigators have been ready to take a look at the web site.
Some Afghan officials have complained of a lack of details about the results of the bomb.
“We had been and we are held in the dim and still we haven’t been ready to go to the web site,” reported one senior Afghan safety official. “We are bewildered ourselves and we wonder what MOAB could have triggered.”
In conferences of the Afghan safety council, some ministers told President Ashraf Ghani they feared the dearth of details from the U.S. side could be exploited by Islamic Condition, which has continued radio broadcasts professing that none of its fighters had been killed.
“We haven’t suffered any casualties from this bomb,” reported one current Islamic Condition broadcast. “We are fighting for the sake of God who is considerably much better than this bomb.”
Salvin would not remark on statements by Afghan protection officials that approximately a hundred Islamic Condition fighters died in the strike.
The assault was aimed at destroying an “in depth” elaborate of fortified tunnels and mines and not any specifically big concentration of fighters, he reported.
“Our assessments are ongoing,” Salvin reported, but pointed out that the strike appeared to have collapsed several tunnels, wrecked mines, and “lowered” various nearby structures.
U.S. troops have continued to use explosives to collapse other tunnel entrances not wrecked by the bomb, he reported.
(Reporting by Josh Smith Enhancing by Gareth Jones)